Log in
Headlines ~
Mangaluru: Protest without permission - 29 BJP activists detained
Bannanje Raja brought to Belagavi, in police custody till Aug
Rastrapita Gandhiji offered puja in a temple daily
Fadnavis wants to merge Marathi speaking areas to Maharastra
John Kerry wishes India on 69th Independence Day, praises its
'Super Marmaye' opened with packed houses across the district
Sunny Leone's 'Mastizaade' gets 'A' certificate
International Bunts welfare trust pays tribute to demised souls
Man from Manjeshwar dies in Qatar due to heart attack
Out on bail ganja peddler arrested by Manjeshwar police

4 SAI athletes attempt suicide in Kerala: Ministry launches inquiry

Alappuzha: In a horrific incident, four young women athletes at a hostel run by the Sports Authority of India in Kerala committed suicide over alleged harassment and ragging by their trainers as well as seniors. The rattled Sports Ministry has launched an inquiry and promised the strictest possible action against any SAI official found guilty.

One of the athletes, a 15-year-old, died early and three others, all undergoing training at Water Sports Centre of SAI in Alappuzha, were hospitalised after they ate a poisonous fruit in an apparent suicide pact following alleged harassment by seniors

The Sports Ministry swung into action by ordering an inquiry and directing SAI Director General Injeti Srinivas to rush to Kerala for an on the spot assessment.

"I am deeply aggrieved by the incident that has happened in Kerala. The young girl who has died was a very promising sportsperson. It is a big loss to the country in general and Sports Authority of India and sports fraternity in particular.

I convey my condolences to the bereaved family. We will give all possible help to the bereaved family," Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said in a statement.

"Three girls are still undergoing treatment. I pray for their speedy recovery. To provide them the best possible treatment is our top priority. Local police is investigating the matter. I have also directed the Director General of SAI to rush to the spot and give me a factual report. I have specifically directed him to ensure that the best possible treatment is made available to the three girls who are undergoing treatment.

"While law will take its own course, at this stage I would only like to say that if anyone from Sports Authority of India is found guilty in connection with this tragic incident, strictest possible action will be taken against him or her," he added.

The girls are suspected to have consumed the fruit, locally called 'Othalanga', at 3pm on Wednesday inside the SAI women's hostel. They were rushed to a hospital around 7pm after they fainted and were later taken to Alappuzha Medical College, where one of them died, the police said.

The girls were undergoing training at the Water Sports Centre of the SAI at nearby Punnamada. Relatives of the athletes alleged that the girls were being physically and mentally tortured by some seniors. .

However, the hostel warden denied the charges and said they came to know about the condition of the girls only when they fainted.

"None in the hostel tortured them," she said.

Police have registered a case of 'unnatural death'.

Meanwhile, Srinivas said survivors are being provided with the best possible medical care.

"I convey my condolences to the bereaved families. At this juncture, our priority is to save lives. What prompted these young girls to do this will be investigated.

Unfortunately there is no antidote to the poison they have consumed but best possible medical care is being provided to them," Srinivas told reporters in Delhi.

"It is difficult to say what is their current medical condition but it is an emergency we are dealing with. SAI is a very responsible body but when an incident like this happens, it is a matter of concern," he added.

"On behalf of the Sports Minister, I can assure that if anything is found wanting or if anybody is at fault, the strictest of action will be taken," he asserted.

Alappuzha District Collector N Padmakumar, who visited the athletes undergoing treatment at the medical college hospital, said a detailed enquiry would be conducted into the incident

A relative of Aparna, who died early on Thursday, alleged that the inmates of the SAI hostel were being physically tortured.

"The girl was hit by her coach two days ago with an oar due to which she could not sit or stand", he alleged.

Meanwhile, protesting against the incident, activists of the Democratic Youth Federation of India (DYFI), the youth wing of (CPI(M), took out a march.


Related items

  • Radhe Maa allegedly forced four farmers to commit suicide after taking away Rs. 1.5 crore from them
  • Man commits suicide inside Mumbai police station
  • Girl commits suicide: Lover's parents threaten deceased family not to file the complaint
  • Woman committs suicide: jumps before train with daughter
More in this category: « Law Graduate,Kerala's Most-Wanted Naxal, Arrested With Wife Shocked 20 SAI athletes go on leave to recover »