Log in

Boy found burnt in Hyd military area dies

Hyderabad: An 11-year-old boy today died of burn injuries after he was apparently set on fire in a high security military area at Mehdipatnam here.

 The boy, identified as Sheikh Mustafa, a resident of Siddiqui Nagar, was admitted to a private here hospital yesterday and died of the burns at 8.15 AM, Deputy Commissioner of Police (west zone) V Satyanarayana said today.

 While the boy's parents alleged that some army personnel were involved in the matter, the Army denied the allegations, saying its investigation found "that no Army personnel is involved in this incident".

 A case of attempt to murder was registered in connection with the incident against unknown persons yesterday. Now that the boy has died, the sections have been altered to murder - section 302 of IPC, the DCP told PTI.

 The boy was found burnt after being doused with kerosene in the military area yesterday. He suffered 90 per cent burns in the incident, police had earlier said.

 When asked if police suspected any foul play, the DCP said the boy's family members were alleging that military personnel set him afire.

 "Investigation is going on. Three teams have been formed including forensic, dog squad, besides the central crime station--a wing of Hyderabad city police--are working on it.

 "Since the boy, after he suffered burn injuries, apparently kept on telling that two military personnel set him on fire, the family members are accusing the army men of being involved," he said.

 Tension prevailed in Mehdipatnam yesterday after the incident but the situation is now peaceful, he said.

 The Army had yesterday said none of its personnel was involved in the incident.

"On investigation, it is found that no Army personnel is involved in this incident.

The Army condemns this act. All necessary assistance is being provided to the police authorities to carry out a detailed investigation to arrive at the truth," a statement by the Army said.

 Meanwhile, a large number of police personnel, including from RAF, have been deployed near the military Garrison area of Mehdipatnam and the private hospital in Kanchanbagh after scores of locals and other people gathered at these places on learning about the boy's death.

 Keeping in view the law and order situation and to prevent any untoward incident, the city police and RAF personnel have been deployed, DCP Satyanarayana said adding that the situation is under control and peaceful.

 Referring to the investigation into the incident which has been registered as a murder case now, he said they are probing the matter thoroughly.

 "A judicial magistrate had recorded the statement of the boy yesterday. We will collect the dying declaration report and incorporate the same as part of the investigation into the case," he said.

More in this category: « CISF man gunned down three of his colleagues at Kalpakkam power plant Tens of thousands evacuated along Andhra Pradesh coast »



Mostly Cloudy

Humidity: 67%

Wind: 16.09 km/h

  • 31 Dec 2014 27°C 22°C
  • 1 Jan 2015 28°C 21°C
Banner 468 x 60 px